How Do Online Casino Bonuses Work?
Guide to Online Casino Bonuses
Practically all online casinos offer a bonus, which may come in a few different forms. Bonuses are (often monetary) perks offered to players who deposit money to their casino accounts. The most common form of bonus is bonus money, which works similarly to deposited money but with some terms and conditions applied. There may also be free spins or cashback on offer. Bonuses prolong your gaming session, as you always use your real money first before changing over to using bonus funds. You then get to play using your bonuses for free, but you have to keep playing to fulfil the wagering requirement.
Guide to Online Casino Bonuses
Basic Types of Bonuses
You get extra funds according to the amount you deposit. The most common deposit bonus offers are 100%, but sometimes you can get even 200% or 300%. The maximum amount of bonus funds you can receive is always capped. Put together, deposit bonus offers usually look something like “get 100% up to €300”, meaning you will get as much in bonus funds as you deposited, but the maximum bonus money you can receive is €300. Always check the limits, such as the wagering requirement and maximum withdrawal limits.
No deposit bonus
These are basically small freebies, giving players a chance to try out the casino without depositing any money. No deposit bonus is usually €10 or even less and turning this bonus amount to withdrawable money is extremely difficult. This offer does however enable the player to enjoy the casino risk-free and is thus very much in demand.
Instead of bonus money, you get free spins to use on one or more slot games. If you are more of a slot fan than leaning towards table games, this might be a great choice for you. Any money won during the free spins will then be awarded as bonus money. So instead of a set amount to receive, you make a bit of a gamble on how much you can earn during your free spins. Free spin wins also always carry a wagering requirement, so keep that in mind.
This means that the casino will pay you back money that you have lost during your play. Cashback always has specific times when it is being calculated, sometimes the promotion applies to all playing and sometimes only play during the weekend for example. You then get paid back a certain percentage on the money you have lost.
Also known as VIP programs, casinos offer loyalty points based on how much you have played with. The more you play, the more points you will earn. Usually you can later turn the points back to cash, or even buy some promotional items or enter in prize draws. Loyalty programs often boast some other benefits too, such as exclusive games, tournaments or further bonuses tailored to your needs. Entering a loyalty program is usually free, so you should not pass the chance by.
General Bonus Conditions
Even though bonus conditions vary between casinos, there are some basic industry standards they tend to follow. Below we will go through the basics of all the terms and conditions often used on online casinos. If you are unsure of what something means on the terms and conditions on the casino you use, please do not hesitate to contact their customer support to get some further clarifications and details.
Basic bonus conditions include:
- You can only create one account per person, email address, household, IP address, bank account or credit card. This means that you cannot open multiple accounts on the same site, or sometimes on multiple sites run by the same company. This is to prevent people taking advantage of the offers multiple times. Casinos are very strict about this rule, so if you create a second account, it will most certainly be closed.
- You are also required to provide accurate and up-to-date personal information to the casino. This means strictly no lying on the sign-up forms, and you will have to inform the casino of any changes such as change of address. Before withdrawing money, the casino will ask for some proof of your identity, and you will often have to provide a copy of an ID card or a passport, and proof of address.
- You are unable to withdraw bonus money before first converting it to withdrawable money – this is what the wagering requirement is all about. For example: if you have €100 as bonus funds and your wagering requirement Is x30, you have to bet €3000 in total using the bonus money (100 x 30 = 3000). In other words, you have to make 300 spins using a bet size of €10 to fulfil the requirement. Only bets count, and it does not matter whether you win or lose a bet. You should be able to see your progress on your wagering requirement under “bonuses” section on your casino account.
- Bonuses often also have a maximum withdrawal amount – this is to prevent the casino having to pay a large jackpot to someone who won it with basically free money. As an example, if the cap is €100, you can only withdraw that amount and all the wins exceeding that will be voided.
- Some offers are only offered to players residing in certain countries. If there is a country list in the terms and conditions on the offer you are eyeing out, check that you are eligible to receive it.
- Sometimes you have to put in a promo code to be able to obtain the bonus on offer. If this is the case, always make sure that you fill in the correct code in the correct box on the deposit page before finally accepting the deposit. If you forget to write in the code, you might lose out on the bonus completely.
A welcome bonus is an incentive offer to attract new players to the casino. Welcome bonuses vary and can contain funds or free spins. Sometimes the welcome bonus is divided into 3 or more parts, meaning that you will get a different deal on each of your deposits. Welcome bonuses are often very generous, and players should take advantage of them, but only after reading the terms carefully.
The casino will have instructions on how to claim the bonus. Sometimes you have to put in a code while filling out your payment details, sometimes the bonus is automatically applied to your account as soon as the deposit is accepted, and sometimes you have to contact customer support to obtain the bonus. Fortunately finding out the info should be straightforward and clearly visible. We have done some of the hard work for you and are able to tell you if you need to use a code or not.
A welcome bonus is always obtainable only once, as you are not allowed to create multiple accounts. A lot of casinos will try to retain the new players they have gathered by offering future promotions, which they will contact you about via newsletters or as pop-up messages on the website. Some bonuses are ongoing, and you can obtain them multiple times, but the majority of bonuses are one-off deals.
A good bonus suits your playstyle: a match bonus will increase the funds you have, free spin bonus will offer you more spins on the reels, and a no deposit bonus will allow you to kickstart your playing without making a deposit. A good bonus will offer you perks and will have an achievable wagering requirement with a relatively high maximum withdrawal limit.
Some casinos require players to submit a code to claim their bonus, instead of just applying the offer on the account automatically. This gives the players the freedom to opt-in to the offer, but always runs the risk of forgetting to put the code in before finalising the deposit. Different codes unlock different bonuses, so sometimes different codes are sent to players on different VIP levels, for example.